How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Lakefield, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Music and Memory: Through our Music and Memory program, residents living with dementia can have their own personal playlist loaded on an iPod and listen with earphones to their favourite music.
- Art Therapy: Our Art Therapy program is about more than just crafts. Residents are encouraged to express their creativity in different and unique ways and the group also spends time talking about different artists and their work.
- Montessori Program: Our Montessori Program helps residents living with dementia connect with themes and activities from their past. The Behavioural Support Team learns as much as they can about the residents past from friends and family and then tailors activities to their past history. It helps them to feel needed or useful and can help reduce and control responsive behaviours.
- Horticultural Program: Our weekly Horticultural Program helps residents with green thumbs plant gardens in summer and grow potted plants during the winter months.
- Live Entertainment: We have regular live entertainment from the community that comes in to entertain residents.
- Karaoke Program: Our Karaoke Program is also surprisingly popular.
- Daily Exercise Program: We have daily exercise programs from Monday to Friday, which include chair yoga, chair dancing and chair stretching.
- Laughter Yoga: We also have a trained Laughter Yoga instructor who comes in twice a month to conduct classes.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Art Therapist
- Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist